Tuesday 2 July 2013

Italian Turkey Burgers


The leaning tower of Turkey Burgers

Last week I gave you the chance to vote on which recipe you’d like to see on the blog next in a poll on my Facebook page. I’d got a few ideas floating around but I’ve been so busy what with my final exams at law school and looking for a job, I hadn’t quite had the chance to put pen to paper so to speak.

Those of you that voted decided you wanted to see my Italian Turkey Burgers!
I used to make burgers a lot at university and over the last few months I’ve reignited my passion for them. Not only is it slowly but surely becoming BBQ season – the time during which burgers are king – I’ve also recently bought a burger press so I can finally produce professional looking patties.

The patties

What I love most about a burger is that you can flavour it with almost anything!
The meat you choose is your base. I find beef is particularly good with deep flavours. It is stronger than turkey mince so can take the addition of smokey BBQ flavours, as well as salty cheese. Turkey mince on the other hands requires more delicate flavouring.

This burger is very much a “light” burger – not only because it’s made with turkey mince which is leaner than beef mince, but because it is built up in its bun with fresh spinach, succulent beef tomato slices and creamy (low fat) mozzarella as well as sweet caramelised onion rings. Each layer is carefully selected to bring a fresh, summery (and Italian) flavour to the burger.


One of the things I loved about these as I was building them up, was not only how the flavours all came together in terms of taste, but how each component represented another part of the Italian flag – red, white and green!

Preparing all of the layers

I’m also a sucker for big burgers in general and the more layers the better.
Here’s how to make yours.



 
Getting hot on the griddle pan!
This is the send “You Choose” poll that I’ve run on facebook now. If you’re not already a follower on facebook you can do so here. I try not to post too much nonsense (that’s saved for twitter) but it’s a good way of following the blog now that Google Reader has gone! You can find out about other alternatives here.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...