Thursday 20 December 2012

Christmas Buffet - Spinach and Ricotta Pie



Just a few days ago I shared with you my Christmas Canapés! They went down a treat at our first Christmas party, but I’m sure you’ll all agree a few blinis won’t fill anyone up.

As my family has gotten older and all of the children have become adults in their own rights, the choice of food at our Christmas buffets has gone from chicken nuggets and slices of pizza, to cheeseboards, blinis and quiches.
This year we thought we’d reduce the amount of food that comes out of the freezer even more, and I wanted to cook something that would look impressive in the centre of the table and would be great for sharing.

After flicking through countless food magazines dedicated to Christmas party food, I settled on a Spinach and Ricotta pie from the Good Food Magazine.
I’ve adapted it here and there. Changed the quantities slightly and changed the method to show what worked well for me. The pie truly was a show stopper and everyone loved the simple flavours and crisp pastry.


 

I definitely think the way forward for Christmas buffets is a combination of mini-bites (like the blinis or mini-tarts) and a dish that can be shared by all, where guests can cut a slice to the size they want, or come back for seconds!
Another good thing about this recipe is that it doesn’t just have to be confined to Christmas buffets – we also hold parties in the summer, and I’m sure this recipe will be making a comeback then. It would also do well for a large dinner with friends.

Whenever you choose to make it, just be sure to have plenty of time to prepare it, and a large dish in which to cook it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...