Thursday 14 April 2011

Almost-fat-free Banana Bread

This DELICIOUS recipe is my tweak of a banana bread I found here:

Allrecipes.co.uk

My mum has given up cake and chocolate for lent, and since being home I have eaten far too many naughty things so I thought I would see what this healthy treat was like! We all LOVED it, and I will definitely be cooking it again.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!




Almost-fat-free Banana Bread

Ingredients

Dry ingredients
200g self-raising flour
140g caster sugar
1/2 tbsp cinnamon

Wet ingredients
2 egg whites
3 bananas (the more ripe the better)
2 tbsp apple sauce
2 tbsp honey

Method

Weight out the dry ingredients and sieve into a big bowl, and preheat the oven to gas mark 4. It's also a good idea at this stage to line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper or simply grease it.

Mash up the bananas. It is up to you how finely mashed you would like them, personally I like af ew larger bits to give more texture to the bread! I love a warm gooey banana surprise in the middle! Then put these to one side with the apple sauce and honey.

One of my main tweaks of the original recipe, was to whisk up the egg whites. I did this with an electric whisk until I had soft peaks and it started to hold its shape.


I decided to do this to make sure the bread was not too dense and to get extra air into the mix. It worked a treat!

Once you've whisked the eggs first pour the wet ingredient (minus the egg) into the dry ingredients and stir. It will begin to look doughy. This is when you should slowly add the egg whites to loosen the mixture. Folding as you go to make sure you get lots of air inside!

Then pour into your loaf tin and bake for 50-55 mins.

You can use the normal "poke a knife in" technique to check its done but bear in mind the banana may come back on the knife even if its done. Alternatively if you tap the top of the loaf it will have formed a golden crust and should sound hollow.



 
Pricing (based on Asda's own brand unless specified!)

Flour 13p, Silver Spoon caster Sugar 15.4p, 2 Happy Eggs 52p, Bananas 51p, Apple Sauce 7p, Honey 8.5p, Cinnamon 1p 

Total:  £1.48


I think its best to eat it warm straight form the oven! As a result there was not much left when I came down this morning!




I've picked up a few other virtually fat free cake recipes over the years (for example courgette cakes! Not as scary as they sound!) but hopefully my cake binges will be over soon and it will be back to yummy bean stews, salads and lentil currys!

Enjoy!

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...